I give thanks everyday that I was raised in a Christian home and have always known Christ. I went to a Christian high school and all my friends were Christians. I married a Christian man and we have raised our children in the Church. I am lucky and I realize not everyone was fortunate enough to have that opportunity. It’s hard for me to imagine not being raised that way.
My friends and I were talking about why we are blessed to be Christians and that got me to thinking about the reasons I love being a follower of Christ. So I decided to make a list of the top five reasons I love being a Christian.
1. Being a Christian is a new beginning on life. Once you become a Christian all your sins are washed away and you start a new fresh life. You are cleansed of your past sins and start a new beginning. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” ~1 John 1:9.
2. It offers hope, forgiveness and provides a sense of purpose and direction in my life. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11.
3. I get a sense of belonging with God and others who believe. I feel so blessed to be part of something so wonderful and I wish that everyone could experience it! There is such a close connection in sharing your faith with other believers. They understand you, your faith and your commitment to living a life of Christianity.
4. Christian faith is built on love. Jesus gave his life for us and there is no greater love then that! “But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” ~Romans 5:8.
5. The promise of eternal life. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.” ~John 3:16.
People from all walks of life become Christians. Some like me were raised in Christian homes. Others had friends that introduced them to the Church. Many find religion on their own and others marry into it and decide to join their spouse in worship. I love hearing how people found their way to God. It’s so inspiring.
I believe that Salvation is a gift from God for which we should be thankful. “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). If you are a Christian God is always with you and there is no better comfort then that!