Marriage and conflict? Yes, the two go together. Two people of the opposite sex cannot live together without some form of conflict. Conflict happens. The question is how do couples resolve those conflicts?
Top 5 Conflicts in Marriage
1. Money. Of course, money would be first. Money causes all kinds of problems. It doesn’t matter if you have too much or not enough money. Either way you get conflict. Usually you have one spouse that is a free spender and one that is a saver. These don’t mix. Working out a compromise that both can agree with takes time, effort and trial and error.
2. In-Laws. Now there is a word that sends couples into hiding. There should be a written rule book about how to deal with in-laws. Even if both spouses get along great with their in-laws conflict still arises over where to spend the holidays, when to visit family and when and how often for in-laws to visit them. Sound familiar?
3. Children. Things are going along just fine and then comes the kids. Kids can cause conflict of all types. Deciding what faith to raise them in and how to discipline them are probably the ones that cause the most problems.
4. Sex. It is a rare marriage where this is not an area of conflict. Women think intimacy, men think sex. There is a difference. The key is to express yourself and your needs to your spouse. Women and men are wired differently and it is important to try and understand the other persons needs and wants.
5. Communication. Say what you mean and mean what you say. We should all live by this. If we did maybe there would be no more misunderstandings.
Learn to accept your differences. No two people are alike and sometimes differences can be good. The key to a happy successful marriage is learning to thrive on your differences. Make it a good thing not a bad thing.
A successful marriage is built within the biblical truth of God. Remember that God is part of your marriage. “For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.” Matthew 18:20. If both spouses are believers, God is with them.