Your metabolism is your body’s ability to burn calories. It is the process by which your body converts food into energy. It’s probably one of the most misunderstood weight loss issues. Those extra pounds we carry around are blamed on a slow metabolism. We all burn calories at different rates and it is influenced by age, sex, heredity and proportion of lean body mass. More muscle equals a higher metabolic rate.
1. You don’t have to live with a slow metabolism. Lifting weights and working out will help you speed up your metabolism. You can raise your metabolism rate from 10 to 20 percent.
2. Your metabolism does not have to slow down after 40. Your metabolism may slow down by 5 percent each decade but it is mostly self-induced due to inactivity. Muscle tissue burns three times as many calories as fat so you can prevent muscle loss and ward off weight gain as you age by strength training regularly.
3. Caffeine has little effect on how many calories you will burn. Caffeinated beverages won’t help you burn more calories as you exercise and caffeine can dehydrate you. But it may give you an energy boost to help you exercise longer.
4. Eat more often to lose more weight. Small frequent meals help keep your metabolism up resulting in burning more calories. If you have too many hours between meals actually slows down your metabolism.
5. Eat fat burning foods to help bolster your metabolism. Eating hot peppers and very spicy foods may have a slight impact on metabolism for a short period of time.
6. Don’t skip breakfast. Eating a healthy breakfast may increase your resting metabolism by 10 percent.
Ways to Boost Your Metabolism
- Aerobic exercise
- Strength training exercises
- Avoid a very low-calorie diet
- Eat plenty of protein
- Avoid bad carbohydrates (such as white bread) and eat high-fiber carbohydrates instead
- Get plenty of low-fat dairy
- Get plenty of sleep
- Avoid stress
- Avoid eating late
Exercise is the best way to jump start your metabolism. The perfect combination of exercise is aerobic and resistance training. This offer the best optimal metabolism and fat burning boost.